not your ordinary bookshelf...

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin ~ FOLLOW ------ The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom ~ FOLLOW

Author and Publisher's Twitter Accounts will be featured here! For special requests, please send me an email. :)

Twitter

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Posted by . - -


This post is about "The Happiness Project" written by a lady who wants to research and see if she can make her happy life even better.  She notes in the beginning that she wasn’t unhappy, nor did she have the luxury to change her life in some drastic way (she has a husband and two young daughters). But what she could do is focus on the little things in life to try and find more joy in every day.

I’ve always wanted to read The Happiness Project for a long time now, not because I’m unhappy, but because it fits with this general trend in my reading of looking for books about different ways to live your life. I have found that  reading books like this makes me more aware on how I could avoid living life in a way that would place myself in a quicksand of false happiness.

While most of us might say that what's written in this book are things we could have figured out on our own,I bet there are still some who haven't figured some things out yet. Sometimes it takes a book or someone else’s perspective (in this case both) to make you think about how your life is.Yes, you may have considered yourself happy, but it doesn't mean that you couldn't get any happier. 

At some point, she talked about the need for reward and acknowledgment. I think most of us would love to be acknowledged with great things we've done, especially if we worked so hard, no matter how minor it is. I can however, see how some people would disagree with the need for acknowledgment.... I respect their opinion.. :)

Additionally,  she also talked about the "marriage" month. She worked on learning to “fight right,” nag less, and do small things to show her affection for her husband; often, the flaw of a relationship starts with these negative gestures. The conscious effort to speak more positively to her partner took a lot of work and concentration, but the results were worth the mindfulness.

One more thing I liked about Gretchen's approach was that she picked one particular area to focus on each month, and then added a new area the next month. It seemed like that kept it from being overwhelming. I definitely recommend adding The Happiness Project to your reading list! If you loved Eat.Love.Pray, I am sure you'll like this book!



Leave a Reply